I confess...

that I fell asleep in the middle of the movie. It has been two days since Judgment Day and I have been letting my guards down where it concerns my sleep cycle. So can you blame me? Erm..maybe but it was half past 5 and both inside and outside it was dark. A sleep conducive environment. Plus the Phantom was getting on my nervers going on and on about his ugly face and how the world discriminated against him.

But short nap aside, The Phantom of the Opera was a pleasant movie adaptation from the original novel written by Gaston Leroux. Gerard Butler plays the Phantom, whose face was disfigured from birth and was named as the Devil's Child because of his misfortune. Pitied by a young ballerina, Madame Giry (Miranda Richardson), he was taken to the Opera Populaire, the French Opera House and hid in the deep recesses of the building. He grew to be an obsessed adult who knows only the world of the opera. Enter the damsel in distress Christine (Emmy Rossum), a daughter of a former violinist who was training as a chorus girl. The Phantom was determined for her to advance as the lead role of the Opera House. The film revolves around the Phantom's obsession with Christine, trying to make her his eternal bride while at the same time Christine is falling in love with the Opera's patron Vicomte de Chagny (Patrick Wilson).

The musical score was remarkable, except for a few annoying rock-style rendition of the main theme. The cast was commendable, but I did not have any knowledge of their previous performance to compare them to. All in all it was an enjoyable evening, short naps, runny nose and all. Street creds goes to Huneydew. Thanks for inviting me. Lepas ni ajak la lagi.

0 comments: